Centuries: 19th century - 20th century - 21st century
Decades: 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s - 1960s - 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
Years: 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 - 1963 - 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968
- January 11 - The Whiskey-a-Go-Go night club in Los Angeles, the first disco in the USA, is opened.
- January 14 - George Wallace becomes governor of Alabama.
- January 16 - Whiskey-A-Go-Go opens in Los Angeles, California
- January 22 - Elysée treaty between France and Germany
- February 8 - Travel, financial and commercial transactions by United States citizens to Cuba are made illegal by the John F. Kennedy administration.
- February 11 - CIA Domestic Operations Division is created.
- March 4 - In Paris six people are sentenced to death for conspiring to assassinate President Charles de Gaulle.
- March 21 - Alcatraz, a federal penitentiary on an island in San Francisco Bay, closes.
- March 27 - In Britain Dr Beeching issues report calling for huge cuts to the UK's rail network See Beeching axe.
- April 7 - Yugoslavia is proclaimed to be a Socialist republic and Josip Broz Tito is named President for life.
- April 22 - Lester B. Pearson becomes Canada's fourteenth prime minister.
- May 15 - Mercury program: NASA launches the last mission of the program, Mercury 9 (on June 12 NASA Administrator James Webb told Congress the program was complete).
- May 25 - In Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, the Organisation of African Unity is established.
- June 16 - Valentina Tereshkova (USSR) becomes the first woman in space.
- June 22 - Pope Paul VI is elected by College of Cardinals.
- August 8 - The Great Train Robbery takes place in Buckinghamshire, England
- August 28 - Martin Luther King delivers his "I have a dream" speech on the steps at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.
- September 29 - Opening of second period of Second Vatican Council in Rome.
- November 22 - U.S. President John F. Kennedy is assassinated; Lyndon Johnson is sworn into office
- December 4 - Closing of second period of Second Vatican Council.
Art, Culture & Fashion
1963 is the year dubbed "Annus Mirabilis" (http://games.glasglow.com/weed/writings/poems/plam.htm) by British poet Philip Larkin.
- January 14 - Steven Soderbergh, director
- January 23 - Gail O'Grady, actress
- January 26 - Andrew Ridgeley, musician
- February 9 - Travis Tritt, country music singer
- February 11 - Todd Benzinger, American baseball player.
- February 17 - Michael Jordan, basketball
- February 19 - Seal, singer
- February 21 - William Baldwin, actor
- March 10 - Neneh Cherry, musician
- March 18 - Vanessa Williams, actress, singer, Miss America
- March 27 - Quentin Tarantino, actor, director, writer, producer
- March 27 - Xuxa, television personality
- April 4 - Graham Norton, show host">talk show host
- April 26 - Jet Li, martial arts fighter, actor
- May 11 - Natasha Richardson, actress
- May 25 - Mike Myers, actor, comedian
- June 25 - George Michael, singer
- July 30 - Lisa Kudrow, American actress.
- October 10 - Daniel Pearl, journalist (+2002)
- Suzanne Duchamp, Dada painter
- January 5 - Rogers Hornsby, Baseball Hall of Famer
- January 29 - Robert Frost, poet
- January 30 - Francis Poulenc, composer
- February 11 - Sylvia Plath, poet/novelist.
- March 4 - William Carlos Williams, writer
- March 5 - Patsy Cline and Cowboy Copas, country music singers
- April 6 - Otto Struve, astronomer (+ 1897)
- June 3 - Pope John XXIII
- October 11 - Edith Piaf, French singer
- October 11 - Jean Cocteau, writer
- November 1 - Ngo Dinh Diem, President of South Vietnam
- November 22 - John F. Kennedy is assassinated in Dallas, Texas, by Lee Harvey Oswald
- November 22 - Aldous Huxley, novelist
- November 22 - C.S. Lewis - novelist, Christian apologist, and English professor
- November 24 - Lee Harvey Oswald, shot by Jack Ruby
- December 28 - Paul Hindemith, German composer
- Theodore Roethke - American poet