Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
Decades: 1770s 1780s 1790s 1800s - 1810s - 1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s
Years: 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 - 1814 - 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819
- January 14 - Denmark cedes Norway to Sweden
- January 31 - Gervasio Antonio de Posadas becomes Supreme Director of Argentina.
- February - Congress of Chatillon - see George Hamilton Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen
- February 1 - Mayon Volcano, in the Philippines, erupts, killing around 1,200 people; most devastating eruption of Mayon Volcano
- February 11 - Norway's independence is proclaimed, marking the ultimate end of the Kalmar Union
- February 18 - Battle of Montereau
- March 9 - the third USS Enterprise reaches Wilmington, North Carolina, returning from the Caribbean.
- March 10 - Napoleon I of France is defeated at the Battle of Laon in France.
- March 27 - War of 1812: In northern Alabama, United States forces under General Andrew Jackson defeat Creek Native Americans at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend.
- April 4 or April 6 - Napoleon abdicates
- May 17 - Norway's new constitution
- May 17 - Occupation of Monaco changes from the hands of the French to Austrian
- May 30 - The First Treaty of Paris is singed returning French borders to their 1792 extent. Napoleon I of France is exiled to Elba on the same day.
- July 5 - War of 1812: Battle of Chippawa - American Major General Jacob Brown defeats British General Phineas Riall at Chippewa, Ontario.
- August 13 - signing of the Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1814
- September 11 - USS Ticonderoga is victorious in the Battle of Lake Champlain
- December 24 - peace treaty ends War of 1812 between US and Britain
Arts, Sciences, Literature and Philosophy